Local Non-Profit Providing Training and Work Attire to over 105,000 Job Seekers Loses Building and Donation Inventory to Fire
ORANGE COUNTY, Calif. (February 7, 2020): On Sunday, Feb. 2, 2020, at 5:50 a.m., Firefighters were called to Working Wardrobes’ 22,000-square-foot headquarters at 1851 Kettering St. in Irvine.
“I don’t know if there’s any way to put into words a reaction when you see 30 years of your life and your labor and your love up in flames. I think it’s actually surreal. And yet, what moves us is we know we have to get into action. We have lives that are depending on the work we do.” said CEO/Founder Jerri Rosen as she vowed the organization will find a new home and rebuild. “I thought this would be the year of great celebration,” she said. “And it will be, once we find a new and permanent home.”
Working Wardrobes will NOT be canceling any of its previously scheduled events for 2020. “It is our 30th Anniversary year and we will continue to be a cause to celebrate!” said Jerri Rosen.
OCFA spokesman Tony Bommarito said firefighters initially pulled back because of the intense heat and smoke. “It was too dangerous, this is a super-challenging fire investigation because of the amount of damage. You have the entire roof laying on everything that burned below.”
The cause of the fire is still under investigation. Orange County Fire Authority investigators estimate the loss of the 22,000-square-feet building in the 1800 block of Kettering Street at $10 million and $2 million for its contents, according to OCFA Captain Tony Bommarito.
POWERFUL WAYS TO GIVE:
– Make an online financial donation, please visit: https://workingwardrobes.org/donate-money/
– Mail-in your financial donation to PO Box 413, 92 Corporate Park, Suite C, Irvine, CA 92606
– Host a clothing drive at your home, office or community center, sign up here: https://workingwardrobes.org/get-involved/clothing-drive/
– Donate Clothing to our Clients, https://workingwardrobes.org/rebuild-donate-clothing/
-Drop off new/gently used clean clothing donations on hangers at the Goodwill Fitness Center at 1601 E St Andrew Pl. Santa Ana, CA 92705
– Attend our fundraising events, sign-up here: https://workingwardrobes.org/events
– Donate through our Facebook fundraiser or start one: https://www.facebook.com/WorkingWardrobes/posts/10162981165335858
– Volunteer your time in our donation center, career center or corporate offices: https://workingwardrobes.org/volunteer/